Monday, August 15, 2011

Good Enough Is the New Perfect

A friend bought me and his wife each this book called Good Enough is the New Perfect for Mothers' Day.  It categorizes working moms into two groups; the "never enoughs" and the "good enoughs".  The authors' intentions are to get us to see that we can all be happier with a "good enough" attitude if we focus on what is really important to us and makes us happy.  This is tougher than it sounds.  We have achieved our current levels of success by working hard and always striving to be the best at everything.  How would we continue being successful without our "never enough" philosophy?

By creating what Becky and Hollee call a "new perfect". 

This week I am choosing to take a good enough attitude.  You will see below that I missed my long run yesterday.  Normally, this would blow my week.  I would be obsessing with what a failure I am for not getting that run in.  Instead, I am choosing to feel happy that I got in 4 successful runs this week.  I am choosing to feel great that I got in my first sub 9 minute 5 miler of the year - woo hoo!!!!  Our attitude is all about choice and we get to choose what perfect is.

I am not very far into the book yet.  I will let you know what else I learn.  Here was my "new perfect" week:


MONDAY
rest
leisurely bike ride

TUESDAY
5 mile run; negative splits.  I love my Garmin!  This may be my favorite Christmas present ever!  If you have runners on your gift list, I can't imagine them not loving one too.


WEDNESDAY
8.5 mile run

THURSDAY
5 mile gravel road run.  While every surface has it's pros and cons, dirt roads and paths provide ideal running conditions.  Surprisingly sand didn't rate very well according to Runners World, finishing 8th out of 10.

FRIDAY
5 k
20 minutes ab work

SATURDAY
rest = off to see Kid Rock tonight

SUNDAY
Ah snap . . . too much fun at the Kid Rock concert last night to get in my long run today.  I am not going to stress out about it.  What's done is done.  On the plus side I've been getting an extra day of running in every week for 8 weeks straight and the concert was awesome.  Look at the great fricken seats we had.


"Believe that you can run farther or faster. Believe that you're young enough, old enough, strong  enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don't let worn-out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself."
-John Bingham, running speaker and writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

6 Keys to Staying Hydrated

                                  Hydrate                                                                   Nutrate                  ...