Saturday, January 9, 2016

My 68 Day Challenge: The Whole30 Day 2

Beware of labels!
Headlines this week all read "Americans Eat Way Too Much Sugar".  Hello!  That's not news.  Some, OK, most is no brainer stuff like soda and snacks.  Some is legitimately hidden in food that is made to appear like a healthy choice,  We are trying to be good and are tricked by the label.

A typical can of soda may have almost 40 g of sugar in it, and who drinks a can anymore.  You grab a Vitamin Water thinking you are making a better choice.  There is still around
30 g of sugar.  At snack time you choose a yogurt thinking this is the best choice and since you didn't read the label you missed that your tiny little container of yogurt has 25 g of sugar in it.

My first Whole30 mistake was misreading a label on a jar of nut butter.  With the attention span of a gnat
- squirrel -
I read the portion of the jar that said "Contains: Sunflower Seeds".  Perfect!  One ingredient and no sugar.  In the cart it goes.
Wrong!
When I got home and looked at the jar more closely what I read was not the ingredient list.
In the store I read what I wanted to see.  I was hoping for no sugar and there wasn't any.  Unfortunately I was reading the warning for allergies and whatnot and not the ingredients.

If you want the soda, then buy the soda.  But, if you want the healthy alternative you must read the label.



No comments:

Post a Comment

6 Keys to Staying Hydrated

                                  Hydrate                                                                   Nutrate                  ...