Friday, June 8, 2018

What's on My Reading List; Born to Run

Running is a great sport to give a whirl because you literally do not need a thing to get started.  Zero start up cost.  You don't like it; no worries, you're not out a thing.

If you do like it and stick with it, unlike other sports that require a ton of expensive equipment, you can maintain a very low budget.  One way I keep costs low is by not worrying if my running
shoes are the latest and the greatest.  By purchasing last year's model instead of the newest release I save a ton of dough.

My normal run essentials are: Burt's Bees lip balm, Maui Jim sunglasses, toasted marshmallow GU, and a great play list.  A very eclectic great playlist.  I love to run to music.  Black Eyed Peas, Led Zepplin, Bruno Mars . . . and then I met this book.  Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.  On long runs it's my new fave.  It gives me the motivation I need to get the miles in.  I figure if they can run hundreds of miles then I can certainly get in 13.

A great friend gave me a great tip, use the speed feature on audible.com.  Putting this story at 1.25 x speed is the perfect tempo to run to.

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never SeenBorn to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Very inspiring story. I loved listening to it while out for a run.
Just a few of my favorite quotes...
“You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.”
“If you don't have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain't getting them.”
“Suffering is humbling. It pays to know how to get your butt kicked.”
"There was some kind of connection between the capacity to love and the capacity to love running."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

6 Keys to Staying Hydrated

                                  Hydrate                                                                   Nutrate                  ...